Monday 21 January 2013

Drop Spinning

Starting a new hobby for me is starting to become difficult. I used to joke that whenever there is a rainy day I'll start a new hobby... It becomes a little less funny to some people when they find out just how true that statement is! But I think that learning something new is one of the best things you can do for yourself and it is a lot of fun. I've been a knitter since I was a kid and have always loved looking at different colors and textures of yarns in the stores. Recently I wondered if it would be possible and feasible for me to make my own yarns out of wool. I got super excited straight away and decided I wanted to get a spinning wheel. I did a bit of research and decided on the one I wanted:

The Ashford Traveller:

I just love it! But I can't really justify spending so much money on something I've really never tried before... It would just be a shame to get it and then find out that I don't love spinning yarn as much as I thought I would.

Fortunately there is another much cheaper option out there.

Drop Spindles:




Drop spindles are a LOT cheaper than a spinning wheel and can do pretty well the exact same thing! Both tools put twist into fibre (such as wool) to create yarn. Drop spindles, however, are a lot more affordable and portable, to start off with especially. My sister also wanted to start spindling so she picked up an Ashford Student Spindle from a yarn shop in our area for $11.50! And she has already made some beautiful yarns with it.

My spindle looks a little bit different because my Husband actually got me a handmade one for Christmas that they had at the yarn shop. =) I really love the look of it and I think I'll probably always use it. =)

I'm still working on getting really even yarn, and working on how much twist to put into the yarn, but I'm having a lot of fun learning! And I think that I've gotten even with just the bit that I've done so far.

I decided to take most of the pink and grey fibre that I also got for Christmas and make a pair of pink and grey mittens. I'm pretty excited to see how they work out.

I've got half of the yarn done for the mittens, and then the rest of the fibre to spin up for the other ball in the background there. I'm excited to get to try making something out of my own yarn soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment